ORGANIZATION : How to build a Capsule WARDROBE


How to Build a Capsule Wardrobe


My Spring capsule wardrobe is complete. I used one of the bonus rules, and worked on my little collection through the first week of April. Before we get to the actual how to, I wanted to look at how capsule wardrobe is defined. It sounds like something out the The Jetsons, but it’s pretty simple.

Capsule Wardrobe Defined

  1. a collection of clothes and accessories that includes only items considered essential
  2. a person’s basic collection of coordinating clothes that can be used to form the basis of outfits for all occasions
  3. a set of clothing, normally around 24 items, which can be mixed and matched to create a wide variety of outfits.
Each of those definitions came from a different dictionary-ish website.
Project 333 definition of a capsule wardrobe: A small collection of 33 including clothing, shoes and accessories built for use during a 3 month period of time.
It’s my intention to have 4 capsules, one for each season, with items overlapping for each. Not each item is essential in terms of survival, but essential in the name of minimalist fashion. ;)
Now that I only use one small side of my closet, whenever I am creating a new collection, I hang the pieces that I know I will keep on one side, and the maybe’s on the other. If the maybes aren’t put into the mix, out the door they go.

How to Build a Capsule Wardrobe

Make a list of how many of each item you think you will need. I didn’t know for sure, but this is where I started:
1 Sunglasses
1 Purse
1 Laptop/Camera Bag
2 Dresses
2 Skirts
1 Jeans
2 Shorts/Capri
1 Dress pants
2 Light Sweaters
2 Blazers
2 Tanks
1 Button Down Shirt
5 Shirts
1 Sweatshirt
4 Shoes
1 Trench Coat
2 Bracelets
1 Necklace
1 Scarf
__________
33 Total Items

Mid-March, I started finding my pieces to match my list. On Friday, April 1st, it was 70 degrees. I pulled out one of my lawn chair, set it up on the deck and sat in the sun thinking about how fun it would be to wear a spring dress and start with a new collection.
On Sunday, I woke up to nearly a foot of snow covering my chair and everything else.
I know I can expect some varying temps. I know I will be cold some mornings and hot on some afternoons. Between now and June 30th, I think there will be a range of 50-60 degrees. I’ve built just the wardrobe to handle it. I know some of you live in very hot or cold weather, but I think 33 items is enough.
Next step.
Make a list of 33 numbers, yep 1-33 with a blank space next to each, and start adding your items.
Here is what I ended up with
  1. Black Purse
  2. Sunglasses
  3. Black Dress
  4. Ivory Dress
  5. Gray Dress
  6. Black Skirt
  7. Sequined Skirt
  8. Jeans
  9. White Capris
  10. Gray Dress Pants
  11. Chinos
  12. Rose pullover sweater
  13. Emerald green open cardigan
  14. Ivory Blazer
  15. Black Blazer
  16. Black Tank skinny straps
  17. Black Tank wide straps
  18. Orange Tank
  19. Light Green Tank
  20. White short sleeve button down
  21. Light Blue pinstripe long sleeve button down
  22. Soft denim long sleeve button down
  23. Blue/white stripe shirt
  24. Black V-neck short sleeved shirt
  25. Black wrap shirt
  26. Black sweatshirt
  27. Black flats
  28. Black sandal heels
  29. Purple Heels
  30. Flip Flops
  31. Recreational shoes
  32. Black Raincoat
  33. Bracelet husband gave me for 5th wedding anniversary

Comments

Popular Posts